Gravity Group News
- Neil Cornish was:
- named as one of the 4 US representatives of the LISA Collaboration Board.
- elected to the executive committee of the AAS High Energy Astrophysics Division.
- awarded MSU's 2016 Provost’s Award for Graduate Research and Creativity Mentoring.
- Nicolas Yunes was:
- elected member of the Scientific Editorial Board for Classical and Quantum Gravity.
- awarded MSU's Fox Faculty Award for Outstanding Research, Scholarship, Creativity
- elected member of the Scientific Organizing Committee for the ISGRG’s GR22 International
- Katerina Chatziioannou was awarded the Canadian Institute for Theoretical Astrophysics
- Katie Chamberlain was selected within MSU to compete at the national level for a Goldwater scholarship.
- Laura Sampson was awarded the L'Oreal USA for Women in Science Fellowship.
- NASA has announced that it is ready to rejoin the LISA mission.
- The LIGO Scientific Collaboration has been awarded the Breakthrough Prize and the Gruber Prize. Sharing in these awards are MSU Prof. Neil Cornish and Graduate Student Meg Millhouse.
- Neil Cornish presents Observation of Gravitational Waves from a Binary Black Hole Merger.
- Neil Cornish was interviewed by the Bozeman Daily Chronicle and USA Today as part
of their articles on the first detection of gravitational waves.
- The LIGO Scientific Collaboration (LSC) has announced the first direct detection of
gravitational waves! Congratulations to all those involved, as well as to Prof. Neil
Cornish and graduate student Meg Millhouse, who were involved in the effort!
- Nicholas Loutrel was awarded the NSF East Asia & Pacific Summer Institute (EAPSI)
Fellowship to travel to Kyoto, Japan in summer 2016.
- Gravity Group holds Extreme Gravity Workshop.
- Laura Sampson was awarded a CIERA fellowship at Northwestern University.
- Devin Hansen was accepted to graduate school at the University of Guelph and the Perimeter
- Kent Yagi received the Fellowship for the Japanese Society for the Promotion of Science,
which he will take to do a 2-year postdoctoral fellowship at Princeton University
with Profs. Frans Pretorius and David Spergel.
- Nicolas Yunes was named KITP Scholar at the Kavli Institute for Theoretical Physics,
Santa Barbara for the years 2012-2015.
- Neil Cornish part of team awarded $14.5 Million to establish center for detecting
low frequency gravitational waves. Read more...
- Nicolas Yunes was awarded the IUPAP General Relativity and Gravitation Young Scientist Prize in 2015.
- Congratulations to Katerina Chatziioannou for obtaining a Graduate Research Fellowship
from the Onassis Foundation
- Congratulations to Postdoctoral Researcher Kent Yagi and Assistant Professor Nico
Yunes for their recent publication in Science.
Read more ...
- Gravity Group to hold workshop on gravitational wave tests of General Relativity.
- Gravity Group to hold Celebrating Einstein Outreach Event.
- Congratulations to Katerina Chatziioannou for succesfully passing her Oral Comprehensive
- Congratulations to Neil Cornish, who has recently been named Science Lead of NASA's
Gravitational Wave Science Analysis Group.
- Congratulations to Nico Yunes, who has recently been named Convener of the Testing
Fundamental Physics Subgroup of NASA's Gravitational Wave Science Analysis Group.
MSU Gravity Group
Montana State University
Bozeman, MT 59717